CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Fun Fall Project!

I was inspired to start making these t-shirt dresses when I saw something similar in a boutique catalogue. They are so easy and affordable to make, even for bumbling beginners like me! :-) Here is a tutorial:




Step 1. Start with a tee shirt of your choice. Cut off bottom of shirt straight across, to desired length. This dress will have a dropped-waist. For a higher, empire waist, cut off a couple of inches below the armpit seam.


Step 2. Cut a length of fabric twice as wide as of the bottom of the t-shirt.


Step 3. Cut off fabric to desired length, leaving 1 1/2"-2" for hem.


Step 4. Place fabric right sides together, pin and sew along each side of fabric.



Step 5. Sew a loose gathering stitch around the top of fabric. I do this by hand, it's quicker and easier than the machine, in my opinion. To do this on the machine, set your stitch length to the longest setting, stitch around, leave threads long, do not backstitch.


Step 6. Pull thread until fabric is the width of the bottom of the t-shirt, distribute gathers evenly, tie off thread.


Step 7. Pin right side of shirt to right side of fabric. Sew together.



Step 8. Turn dress inside out, turn hem twice (turn once then iron, turn again and iron). Sew around.




FINISHED!! Embellish as desired!


3 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh my goodness! This is the cutest dress ever! You are so talented. I love the colors and polka dots and the little bow too! Izzy is one lucky girly!

Wendy said...

That was my thought, too: "Oh my goodness!!"
First, you are SO talented!! What a neat idea. I'm not sure that I could do it. My machine is out of commission and I was never very good on it to begin with. Maybe, with this excellent tutorial, I could manage an effort at it!
Second, I love the colors you chose. So cute!!
I'm SOOO glad to have found your blog, girlie! See you tomorrow?

Jen said...

aww! I love it, very cute and the colors go very well together :)